Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Songs of Praise...Songs of Pain


I once heard a minister comment on the life of King David by saying, “If David lived in our day he would be labeled bi-polar.”  While evoking a bit of laughter, the statement caused me to reflect deeper into the words of the Psalms.  I was taught to go to the Psalms for words of praise, affirmation, and adoration to God.  Indeed, many words and phrases common to our praise language today are taken directly from the Psalms.

In addition to providing us with a dictionary of praise terminology, the Psalms also provide extreme comfort and solace.  The sheer phrasing of Psalm 23 or Psalm 91 brings calm and assurance in the middle of stormy seasons in our lives. 

However, of late I have taken note of the not-so-often-quoted verses in these Songs; verses that reflect the writer’s pain and agony; verses that cry out to God for justice, vengeance, and vindication.  Those overlooked stanzas that flat out question, “God what are You doing?” 

Psalm 80:4, “O Lord God of Heaven’s Armies, how long will you be angry with our prayers?  You have fed us with sorrow and made us drink tears by the bucketful.” 

Same song, verse 12, “But now, why have you broken down our walls so that all who pass by may steal our fruit?”

Questions such as “How long?” and “Why, God?” are included in the Scriptures.  Oddly enough, this brings me great hope at this moment in my life, because we in the Church are subtly encouraged to suppress our questions and fears.  Either we fear God will strike us if we question Him, or we fear people will think less of us if they discover we don’t know all the answers! 

I find it uniquely refreshing that the Bible, God’s Word, the Psalms, include many verses that reflect the pain, agony, distress, turmoil, and sometimes downright doubts of the writer.  Shall we remind ourselves that we believe every word of Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit?  So, I've decided to slow down a little as I read through the Psalms.  Until now, I have been prone to speed read over the verses that reflect pain or conflict and dwell on the verses that offer praise, promise, and protection.  Why are these verses even in the Scriptures? 

I’m beginning to get a clue as to why.  These composers were not bi-polar.  They simply wrote songs about life.  And God was central to every part of their lives; the prosperous times and the lean times; the robust years and the painful years.  The writers cried out to God through it all.  Could it be that the Psalms were written not only to provide a vocabulary for praise and worship, but also a language to use in our deepest struggle, heartache, and distress?

Not convinced?  Among the last words spoken by our Lord and Savior on the cross were the prophetic words penned by David in Psalm 22, “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?  Why are you so far away when I groan for help?”  When the Son of God chose words to express what He was going through as He took on the sin of the world, He quoted – not the comforting 23rd Psalm – but the first sentence of Psalm 22.

I am sure volumes have been written about the Messianic prophecy of Psalm 22, but for David at the time he sang this song, it was simply the passion of his heart being poured out to his God.  If you follow these songs long enough you will see that they usually end in pure praise or even prophecy of coming blessings.  Psalm 22 ends with these declarations:  verse 27, “The whole earth will acknowledge the Lord and return to him.  All the families of the nations will bow down before him.”  verse 30, “Our children will also serve him.  Future generations will hear about the wonders of the Lord.” 

I find that progression simply amazing.  If we will be real with God, He will lead us from fear, questions, and agony into pure praise, promise, and prophecy!  Selah.

Please be encouraged, dear friend.  Join me in looking a little closer at all the 150 Songs.  Let’s continue to shout unto God, praise, laud, exalt, and adore Him with the words of the Psalms.  In addition, let the honest - even brutal - phrases of pain and agony assist us in crying out in complete honesty and openness to God, our loving heavenly Father.

My God, my God, why…? 

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Vannie this so reflects my heart at times.We have been taught to not question God even when our hearts are breaking from the lack of an answer or understanding,or the pain of loss.Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pastor Vannie. Maybe the key to the breakthrough is breaking. May we all learn to be real with God in this way. I've often felt this way at different times in my life. The only thing I knew to do was cry out & ask why. Somehow, He always reveals Himself at the right moment when I feel my heart can't take anymore & gives me the strengthto press forward. Thank you for reminding me of this today.

    ReplyDelete