Wednesday, January 23, 2013

GREATER Patience

"Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming.  See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains."  James 4:7


I tithed for the first time this past Sunday.  Now, where are those open heavens?  Where are those blessings?

I went to the altar last month and forgave my ex-husband for leaving me and the kids.  I felt like a ton had been lifted from my shoulders.  I did what God's Word told me to do, so why is my ex still spreading lies about me?  And where are those godly men who should be pursuing me now?

I volunteered to clean the church last week.  So where are the people to help me with this bathroom remodel at my house?  I sowed my time to the church.  Where are my harvest of helpers when I'm in need?

My church kept promoting the weekend Encounter Retreats.  People testified that their entire lives had been changed after spending a weekend with God on the mountain.  A few months ago I took The Journey myself.  It was indeed glorious!  But now that I'm back in the routine of life, my kids are still out of control; my finances are spiraling; and those old thought patterns are creeping back!


The above statements are fictitious but could easily be actual quotes from some of our thoughts!  

I could be blunt and brutal in response.  I could ask the rhetorical question, "Aren't you glad Jesus didn't get impatient while He was dying on the cross for your sins?  Everything wasn't exactly easy for Him that day! "  Instead of waxing cynical in my response, I'll just let the Word speak for itself.

I believe we forget the laws and processes God put into motion when He made the heavens and the earth.  James reminds us that the farmer knows these laws and waits for them to work.  I love gardening and landscaping work, but learning effective gardening requires lessons in patience!  Perennials will look better in two to three years.  Some shrubs are fast-growing; others can take ten years to mature.  Gardening has been a great teaching experience for me because it has taught me to till the soil, fertilize, plant, water....and WAIT.  God's laws of "sowing and reaping" will do the rest! 

After the Great Flood, God told Noah that as long as the earth remains Seed-time and Harvest will never cease. (Genesis 8:22)  That excites me!  Anything we plant in life will produce a harvest...in time.  Our frustrations come when we forget the "time" part of the process.  Patience is not that difficult to learn once we understand God's laws.  If I keep sowing forgiveness, in time I will reap love, acceptance, and forgiveness - abundantly.  If I keep sowing my finances, in time I will reap abundant prosperity, wisdom, and understanding in financial matters.  If I keep planting  my time in God's presence, in time I will become a spiritual giant, able to lead others to healing and wholeness in Christ!

Just knowing that it shall be....helps me develop Greater Patience!  

"...People will reap what they sow...Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Galatians 6:7-9

Will you commit to do two things with me as we grow into Greater Patience?  First, keep doing what is right.  Keep sowing.  Your proper time is coming.  Secondly, stop complaining.  A wise person once said, "Complain and remain.  Praise and be raised!"  Come on child of God!  Get up right now and praise God for your harvest!  









No comments:

Post a Comment